We all love having a beautiful smile, and we all love flashing our pearly whites and healthy gums with confidence. Keeping that confidence requires careful attention to your dental health. The five following steps will help you keep your smile shining every day.
- Brushing teeth and flossing twice daily. Keeping your teeth, gums, and entire oral cavity clean on a regular basis is the most important step towards dental health. Brushing removes plaque and food particles from the surface of your teeth, while flossing removes those particles trapped between your teeth. Be sure to use a soft-bristled tooth brush to avoid irritating your gums and stripping enamel from your teeth. Without enamel, your teeth are at greater risk for decay.
- Visit your dentist every six months. Routine cleanings and x-rays help your dentist discover and treat problems before they becomes serious and seriously expensive. Preventative dental visits will save not just your smile but thousands of dollars in major dental work.
- Eat a healthy diet. What’s good for your body is good for your teeth. A healthy diet low in sugary snacks will help protect your teeth against cavities and decay.
- Fluoride. Long proven to strengthen your tooth enamel, fluoride will help you keep your teeth in tip top shape. Often present in tap water supplies, fluoride can also be found in many toothpaste products.
- Avoid tobacco. To keep those pearly whites actually white, avoiding tobacco is a must. Cigarettes and chewing tobacco yellow the teeth and can lead to gum disease.